About the Role
This role involves extracting value from clickstream data from a wide range of websites and apps. It involves understanding user activity and figuring out the extent to which we can track users accurately and reliably. Making the data we collect more extensive, and transforming it so that it is more useful to Data Scientists will be an ongoing function.
About the Product
Rapid River manages several mission-critical data analysis systems for one of our clients.
One of these systems is a generic clickstream ingestion pipeline, which feeds around 1000 events per second into a Hadoop ecosystem for further analysis by our client’s Data Science team. The data collected represents user activity over a few hundred websites, all owned by our client. The project’s purpose is to use this information to drive effective marketing, and in general to better understand their users.
Other systems we manage collect similar user information, but do so for single business units. We help by providing suites of tools used for business intelligence analysis, used to generate reports which feed back into our clients’ sales tools.
- You are enthusiastic about Data. You love jumping into a data set and exploring it, looking for value.
- Curious about the ways in which a person can be identified or categorised from the activity the exhibit while using websites and apps.
- You’re highly pleasant to work with, and enjoy discussing ideas and explaining your thinking to people of various levels of technical ability.
- You’re concerned about the ethics of data collection. You appreciate the tremendous value that identifying and targeting a user has for business, but you also appreciate privacy and respect user preferences. You also appreciate the business case for ad targeting. You understand the business desire to target sales campaigns to people who are more likely to engage, but also that such things should be done on the user’s terms, and shouldn’t “creep them out”.
Skills and Requirements
- A baseline understanding of statistics and a firm grounding in basic data analysis principles.
- A track record of assisting companies make effective data-driven decisions.
- Experience with Tableau, Zeppelin Notebooks, or equivalent.
- Experience with SQL, in particular with variants such as Spark SQL.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis.
- Strong written communicator, and high EQ (the role requires working with many people of various levels of technical ability).
If you think you have what it takes, get in touch with us by sending an email to email@example.com.